Devlin Scott

In my reviews I try neither to persuade nor to dissuade others. I believe the art of reading is a very personal experience and that my opinion should not intrude upon others enjoyment. I merely state how I felt while reading and I will allow others to decide for themselves. This is why I will not present a play-by-play description. I will only offer a few basic details to help you decide if what I present is worth your time.
Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut The following description is from Amazon.com

{Kurt Vonnegut's absurdist classic Slaughterhouse-Five introduces us to Billy Pilgrim, a man who becomes unstuck in time after he is abducted by aliens from the planet Tralfamadore. In a plot-scrambling display of virtuosity, we follow Pilgrim simultaneously through all phases of his life, concentrating on his (and Vonnegut's) shattering experience as an American prisoner of war who witnesses the firebombing of Dresden.

Don't let the ease of reading fool you--Vonnegut's isn't a conventional, or simple, novel. He writes, "There are almost no characters in this story, and almost no dramatic confrontations, because most of the people in it are so sick, and so much the listless playthings of enormous forces. One of the main effects of war, after all, is that people are discouraged from being characters..." Slaughterhouse-Five (taken from the name of the building where the POWs were held) is not only Vonnegut's most powerful book, it is as important as any written since 1945. Like Catch- 22, it fashions the author's experiences in the Second World War into an eloquent and deeply funny plea against butchery in the service of authority. Slaughterhouse-Five boasts the same imagination, humanity, and gleeful appreciation of the absurd found in Vonnegut's other works, but the book's basis in rock-hard, tragic fact gives it a unique poignancy--and humor.} Description from Amazon.com

I read this novel as a young adult (15 I think) and I fell in love with Vonnegut's style; I have just reread it as an adult and I fell all over again. He is wise, pithy, and precise.

This novel has an interesting magic about it. It is difficult to explain but, as you read it you will find yourself...looking inward...to those interestingly dark spots you have hidden within you. Those spots that will ask you, "Why are you here?" "What are you doing?" and, "Why are you doing it?" I wonder what your answers will be when you read it? More importantly...will you answer them?

He is a must read for anyone who wants to grow both as a reader and a writer.

So it goes...

Devlin

No Lasting Burial (The Zombie Bible) (Kindle Serial)
Stant Litore