Devlin Scott

In my reviews I try neither to persuade nor to dissuade others. I believe the art of reading is a very personal experience and that my opinion should not intrude upon others enjoyment. I merely state how I felt while reading and I will allow others to decide for themselves. This is why I will not present a play-by-play description. I will only offer a few basic details to help you decide if what I present is worth your time.
Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden Quote:" We don't become geisha because we want our lives to be happy; we become geisha because we have no choice."

I loved this book. By page 9, I loved this book for its style alone. The writing is quietly expressive; a gentle trip down a lazy stream but without being boring. This is the story of a Geisha who had her life dictated by all but her own whims. This book is very much like the above quote reveals. The secret, as the novel details, is how we define ourselves within the endless ocean of life.

As usual, I will offer my thoughts as I read this book:

Page 9:

I love the writing style. It has nice, smooth tempered beat, sort of like drifting on a boat but with a definitive direction in mind.
— Nov 27, 2011 04:10am

Page 122:

Quote: “Adopting Hatsumomo,” I said, “would be like releasing a tiger from its cage.”

Good girl! Sayuri is a clever one. :)

— Nov 27, 2011 06:11pm

Page 153:

Quote: I suppose that by “dignity” I mean a kind of self-confidence, or certainty,

This is where our hero becomes geisha. She's figured it out. :)

— Nov 27, 2011 08:20pm

Beyond this point I was too wrapped up in the story to take notes except for one further point:

I'm amazed at how much emotion the author is having us (the reader) go through in the final few chapters.

The final chapter is poetically elegant. I recommend this book to everyone to read just once and for no other reason than to feel life, not as it should be lived, but, as it must be lived; as a boat calmly drifting on the waters but, with purpose.

I want to heartily thank Merve- Özcan for recommending this book to me. I will remember this story forever and I look forward to reading The Color Purple with her soon.

Devlin

No Lasting Burial (The Zombie Bible) (Kindle Serial)
Stant Litore