Devlin Scott

In my reviews I try neither to persuade nor to dissuade others. I believe the art of reading is a very personal experience and that my opinion should not intrude upon others enjoyment. I merely state how I felt while reading and I will allow others to decide for themselves. This is why I will not present a play-by-play description. I will only offer a few basic details to help you decide if what I present is worth your time.
Hotel Angeline: A Novel in 36 Voices - Elizabeth  George, Erica Bauermeister, Deb Caletti, William Dietrich Thirty-six of the most interesting writers in the Pacific Northwest came together for a week-long marathon of writing live on stage. The result? Hotel Angeline, a truly inventive novel that surprises at every turn of the page.

Something is amiss at the Hotel Angeline, a rickety former mortuary perched atop Capitol Hill in rain-soaked Seattle. Fourteen-year-old Alexis Austin is fixing the plumbing, the tea, and all the problems of the world, it seems, in her landlady mother’s absence.

The quirky tenants—a hilarious mix of misfits and rabble-rousers from days gone by—rely on Alexis all the more when they discover a plot to sell the Hotel. Can Alexis save their home? Find her real father? Deal with her surrogate dad’s dicey past? Find true love? Perhaps only their feisty pet crow, Habib, truly knows.

Provoking interesting questions about the creative process, this novel is by turns funny, scary, witty, suspenseful, beautiful, thrilling, and unexpected.

(Above description from Amazon Kindle)

This was a great experiment. Thirty-six authors each spending one hour only before a 'live' audience (in person and online) to write a single chapter of their own design to make this novel come to life. They could only have access to what the others before them constructed and to a very basic outline that provided a general plot to the novel.

It staggers the mind to imagine what the writers had to creatively go through to make this novel a success. I think they did a wonderful job and I certainly want to read more of this type of fiction. The only reason I gave it three stars is because I personally did not care for the characters or the story. But that is just my taste, this novel should not be thought of as a poor story. It was a great story just not one that suited my tastes.

Devlin

No Lasting Burial (The Zombie Bible) (Kindle Serial)
Stant Litore