Devlin Scott

In my reviews I try neither to persuade nor to dissuade others. I believe the art of reading is a very personal experience and that my opinion should not intrude upon others enjoyment. I merely state how I felt while reading and I will allow others to decide for themselves. This is why I will not present a play-by-play description. I will only offer a few basic details to help you decide if what I present is worth your time.
Into the Jaws of Death - O'Brien Jack O'Brien Quote from the book, (Bob Goddard explains the scene as he returns to the front after a ten-day furlong): “So one morning I landed up at Victoria Station and caught what is known as “the train of tears.” The boys are always very silent going back—there is never any cheering.”

This non-fictional account of the horrors and trials of World War One begins with all the ‘heroic’ energy one expects from a good war story. We see the camaraderie of the young Canadian and English lads as they gear up to save the world. I few pages later, this changes as the realities of war take hold of our heroes, but they soldier on and their courage and resolve only become more resolute.

This is a nicely written (though ‘sanitized’) version of the horrors and trials of WWI. In it two soldiers, Private Jack O’Brian and Bob Goddard (through a series of letters he wrote to his friend, Jack) relate the events they have survived during WWI. It is gritty and, I believe, truthful; it is not, however, graphic.

I do recommend this book to all and I strongly encourage everyone at some time in their lives to read this account of WWI trench warfare.

Oh, the Kindle version is currently free and it's a short read. What excuse did I leave you? ;)

Devlin

No Lasting Burial (The Zombie Bible) (Kindle Serial)
Stant Litore