Devlin Scott

In my reviews I try neither to persuade nor to dissuade others. I believe the art of reading is a very personal experience and that my opinion should not intrude upon others enjoyment. I merely state how I felt while reading and I will allow others to decide for themselves. This is why I will not present a play-by-play description. I will only offer a few basic details to help you decide if what I present is worth your time.
Rusalka - C.J. Cherryh If wishes were magic…that’s the premise of this novel. If you’re a powerful magician, your wishes become your magic spells. Your wishes can come true, but there’s a price, a balance that must be created and maintained.

In this tale, Ilya, the old malevolent (seeming) wizard, is attempting to bring his ghost of a Daughter, Eveshka, back to the world of the living. Sasha, the young wizard boy with incredibly powerful wishes, is caught between the old master’s need to resurrect his daughter and the young thief’s (Pyetr) love for the ghostly and powerfully, hungry daughter.

There are a few unique characters we meet along the way: Kavi Chernevog , the evil apprentice responsible for Eveshka’s demise, Vodyanoi, an evil and powerful river ‘thing’ bent on devouring them all, domovoi, a basement ‘thing’ that is best left in the shadows and, my personal favorite, Babi (dvorovoi), a yard-thing that has the loving obedience of a new found puppy and the savage terror of a heartless bear. I like that Babi likes vodka. I want a Babi of my own. lol

This romantic adventure is based on Russian folklore and is a great story worth experiencing.

The prose is a bit weak and some of the sentences are ill constructed, making it difficult to glean their meanings and this is the only reason I gave the novel three rather than four stars. Yet, I found myself loving this lightly romantic story and I will reread it at some point. Hopefully, the tale will convince me to raise the rating…

Devlin

No Lasting Burial (The Zombie Bible) (Kindle Serial)
Stant Litore