Devlin Scott

In my reviews I try neither to persuade nor to dissuade others. I believe the art of reading is a very personal experience and that my opinion should not intrude upon others enjoyment. I merely state how I felt while reading and I will allow others to decide for themselves. This is why I will not present a play-by-play description. I will only offer a few basic details to help you decide if what I present is worth your time.
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West - Gregory Maguire Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (review)

I’ve recently confessed to a friend on GR my hatred for The Wizard of Oz (movie) because a huge portion of my childhood was spent being forced at childhood’s gunpoint (unlimited loads of guilt) to watch that hideous movie over and over and over the rainbow again until nearly all love for the tale was ‘tornadoedly’ vacuumed from my heart. I used to root for Elphaba and her Flying Monkeys to save the day. But, no matter how many times I was “Clockwork Oranged” into that movie chair, it never happened.

However…

I did enjoy this wildly, black hearted retelling of the old story. It brought not only tears of joy to my eyes but laughter to my child’s heart. This is not the Dorothy tale we remember from days of yore. It is adult and unique in both humor and imagination. It’s a bit wordy and it’s easy to become lost in all the background info but it’s worth a read. At the very least it’s lifted the ‘flying monkey’ of my childhood angst from off my back and has opened my heart to reading, for the first time, the original Wizard of Oz tale, all of them. :)

Devlin

No Lasting Burial (The Zombie Bible) (Kindle Serial)
Stant Litore