Devlin Scott

In my reviews I try neither to persuade nor to dissuade others. I believe the art of reading is a very personal experience and that my opinion should not intrude upon others enjoyment. I merely state how I felt while reading and I will allow others to decide for themselves. This is why I will not present a play-by-play description. I will only offer a few basic details to help you decide if what I present is worth your time.
Across the Universe - Beth Revis The things I liked about this novel:

The ‘cold sleep’ process is frightening! What a great way to open the book! Claustrophobia was very prevalent throughout the novel and Revis handled it well.

I liked the morality/ethic issues in the story. They were well presented and left one thinking about your own responses to these issues.

The humanism and humanity of the situation was well developed and intriguing.

The reasons I didn’t give it 4 stars:

I wanted more backstory on Earth’s situation.

Some of the story’s center could have been tightened up a bit.

The science could have been a bit more detailed and involved. The science of Godspeed is 300 years in the making and it would have evolved by (light speed) leaps and bounds in such a tightly confined space. Man (and woman) creates not only out of necessity but also out of boredom.

My Own Personal Pet Peeve:

I dislike it when writers invent replacement words for “fuck”. It’s a perfectly good word composed of nice, explosive vowels and consonants. Fracking, freaking, and frexing don’t work. These incantations / incarnations make your characters sound like idiots! You need a single syllable word that sounds as if it’s being shouted when you whisper it…

But the story impressed me and I will read book two to see what happens next.

Devlin

No Lasting Burial (The Zombie Bible) (Kindle Serial)
Stant Litore